In June 2021, the Office of Information and Data Protection Commissioner has participated and provided its contribution in various fora, webinars and other events held online by international organisations of the right to information and personal data protection, as imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The events organised in this period, where the representatives of the Commissioner’s Office have participated are as follows:
- On June 1 June 2021, was held another training course of the series provided by the DECOS project “Developing Capacity, Cooperation and Culture in Overseeing the Security Sectors of Albania, Kosovo and North Macedonia”, funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands and implemented by the Centre for European Security Studies, where invited speaker was Mr. Jan Marinus Wiersma, former Member of the European Parliament, expert on Balkans related issues and currently Senior Visiting Fellow at the Clingendael Institute.
- On 1 and 2 June 2021, was held the digital conference entitled “Civil Society & Think Tank Forum I – Road to Berlin”, in the context of the 2021 Berlin Summit on the Wester Balkans, organised by the Aspen Institute of Germany. Representatives of the Commissioner’s Office attended numerous sessions, notably the discussion panel with civil society organisations of the Western Balkans, where several personal data protection aspects were dealt with, and a number of recommendations to be addressed to the respective governments were developed.
- On June 4, 2021 a webinar on the Partnership between the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) and Albania was organised by the FRA and the EU Delegation to Albania, where remarks were delivered by the EU Ambassador to Albania, Mr. Luigi Soreca, the FRA Deputy Director, Mr. Constantinos Manolopoulos, and a keynote speech by the Deputy Minister of Justice of Albania, Ms. Etilda Gjonaj.
- On June 4, another training session provided by the DECOS project was held in the format of a discussion and practical interaction format.
- In its capacity of EDPB observer, the Commissioner’s Office attended on 8 June the Plenary Session of the European Data Protection Board.
- On 10 June, the Commissioner’s Office participated in the 64th meeting of the Executive Committee of the Global Privacy Assembly (GPA). The Commissioner’s Office is member of the steering body of this global data and privacy protection organisation.
- On 22 June 2021, the Commissioner’s Office attended in the capacity of member to the Accreditation Sub-committee of the Global Privacy Assembly (GPA) in an online meeting with a candidate authority applying for membership in the GPA, where different questions relating to the application process were discussed.
- ON 23 and 24 June 2021, the Commissioner’s Office attended the 12th Closed Session of the International Conference of Information Commissioners (ICIC) and the 2nd webinar of the Open Session of this conference on June 30, under the theme “Blurred boundaries in access to information: home office and public records management”. The Closed Session announced, inter alia, the election of the new ICIC Executive Committee, with the Commissioner’s Office joining as elected member following the elections held last May. This year, the ICIC Open Session will be held through a series of monthly webinars until late December 2021.
- From 28-30 June 2021 was held the 41st Plenary Meeting of the Consultative Committee of the Convention 108 of the Council of Europe, where the Commissioner’s Office participated in the quality of voting member. This plenary meeting dealt with important issues, however the focus lied on the protection of personal data amid the Covid-19 global pandemic and the challenges that the supervisory authorities encounter in this context.